Mariners drop to No. 2 Keizer
women’s tennis | Sat 12 Feb 2022 at 22:00
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — The College of Coastal Georgia Mariners (0-1) were swept away in a tough start to the season against the No. 2-ranked Keizer University Seahawks.
- Marianela Landi, who played at no. 1 singles line fell to Nicole Coopersmith 0-6, 0-6. Coopersmith is ranked second in the NAIA.
- Eva Rubio lost in straight sets to Kahea Companion of Keizer University. She lost 3-6, 4-6.
- Coastal Georgia newcomer Ana Gonzalez lost her first game as a Mariner 2-6, 1-6 to 13and NAIA-rated player.
- In the fourth line, Caitlyn Napier lost 0-6 then improved 3-6 against Kanon Sorakubo.
- Azul Malatini fell to opponent Seahawk 2-6, 4-6 on the number five line in singles play.
- Rocio Arraya lost 1-6, 0-6 to Joyce Nouws on the sixth row.
- Rubio and Landi, the pair from Argentina and Spain faced a pair of Seahawks at no. 1 double line. They fell to no. 2 double duos 0-6.
- Gonzalez and Napier paired for the first time at no. 2 double lines. They fell 1-6 to Keiser’s pair.
- Malatini and Arraya lost 2-6 to their opponent at no. 3 double lines.
“Opening the season against the country’s No. 2 team is a difficult task, but it has given us a great opportunity to assess where we are and set targets for where we hope to be by the end of the season. the season. As always, Coach Finn had his team ready to play and they put up a pretty dominant performance. I think Keiser’s ladies did a good job of setting the tone at the start of the doubles. We had really struggled to get a foothold in one of the doubles matches In singles Eva and Azul were able to compete at #2 and #5 I felt like Caitlyn did a good job in her second set and Ana had played a lot of good points but I struggled to translate that into games on the scoreboard We came out of this game with a lot of hard work and I expect that may the girls compete much better next weekend against Warner,” head coach Zack Roge said. rs.
Following: Coastal Georgia take on the Warner University Royals at home on February 19and at the Marta B. Torrey Tennis Complex.