Beach warning in Spain as hundreds of showers set to close amid worsening drought | Travel News | Travel
The move is being led by the Costa del Sol, but other destinations popular with Brits are expected to follow unless drought conditions are reversed. The Association of Municipalities of the Eastern Costa del Sol has asked the 31 municipalities to save water and at least 20% of consumption.
Rincón de la Victoria, Vélez-Málaga and Algarrobo have all decided to close the showers on the beaches from Monday.
The mayor of Vélez-Málaga, Antonio Moreno Ferrer, said: “It is not easy to make this decision in the middle of summer and with the beaches full of users and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we We are really facing a critical situation and any measure that can contribute to mitigating the effects of the drought must be implemented, starting by setting an example for local administrations”.
Vélez-Málaga has 22 kilometers of coastline and 100 showers and is asking for European help to advance a desalination project that would meet domestic demand, as well as agriculture.
Councilor for the beaches, Jesús Pérez Atencia confirmed to the Spanish media: “From August 1 and gradually, the Vélez-Málaga coastline will cut off the water for more than 100 showers.
“It is a gesture of responsibility in the context of the critical situation that the municipality of Vélez-Málaga and the region of Axarquia are experiencing in terms of water, for which we ask the collaboration of all residents and users of our coastline. and also apologize for this decision which will allow significant water savings.”
Mayor of Rincón de la Victoria, Francisco Salado, said: “We know this is an unpopular but extremely necessary measure in the face of the severe drought.
The station will place stickers along the nine kilometers of coastline where nearly 60 showers are located.
“The water savings will be considerable because not everyone uses water responsibly, going so far as to use the showers for personal hygiene or cleaning beach equipment,” said the councilor of the beach, Sergio Diaz.
The rest of the Costa del Sol is invited to adopt the same measures and also ban the filling of private swimming pools.